Wn203 Pointe Du Brick
When the Germans first occupied Normandy in June 1940 they were unprepared to
defend the coastline and were fearful that the British and Free French might try
to attack the port of Cherbourg to gain a foothold again in France.
Unable to build defences quickly the brought in a batterie of four railway guns.
This set of guns called Gneisenau were of the type SKl45 and had a bore of 150
mm. They were positioned on this portion of railway line, now used as a road
since the late 1940's (D116), because of the double curve in the track. Railway
guns have no traverse unless they are positioned on a curve in the track or on a
turntable. There still exists a short tunnel with the remains of a concrete
structure inside, this was constructed by the Germans as a safe storage for the
There is also supposed to be a passage to the bunker. Later a small Casemate of
the H667 type was built below the line to give enfilade fire along the beach
towards Cherbourg. Interestingly the rear entrance wall of the bunker is
built up of local stone rather than concrete. This position was known as Wn203
and was equipped with a 50 mm gun.
In his book Der Atlantik Wall, Heinze Zimmermann claims that the tunnels are
part of a strong point that was not finished, and would have included many more
tunnels. There are plans in existence that show Skoda anti tank guns at both ends
of the tunnel and the e4ntrance being from 50 mm gun bunker. The Locals also tell on train loads of cement travelling this railway line
on their way to the German construction sites further to the east of Cherbourg.
That fact that the line was worn out at the end of the occupation possibly
helped cause its early closure in 1947.
On a visit in March 2016 the site has been cleared, and you are able to walk
along the concrete trenches
WN236 H667 - SK/Casemate - MG Stand - Ringstand Flak