Saint Vaast La Hougue Map 1310O
The French constructed a fort here two hundred years before the Germans arrived
with the same intention, to keep the English from invading.
When the Germans arrived in 1940 they took over many of the French
fortifications and adapted them to their own use.
Here at Saint Vaast la Hougue they installed mainly anti aircraft guns and a
large searchlight, at 120 cm it was one of the larger of the searchlights
installed in the area.
They also put machine gun posts into the sea wall, normally these stand out like
a sore thumb, but here they seem strangely at home.
Fortunately the German construction did not alter the character of the French
The fort is still used by the French Navy and it is not possible to enter the
fort, but a good view can be obtained by walking round the walls.
The entrance to the port was also fortified with a bunker placed just alongside
the Fisherman's Chapel. This has been cunningly adapted to form a interesting
view point for visitors.
Even better hidden is the control post just in front of the same chapel. The
first world war monument has been placed on top and this must surely be the only
example of a first world war monument sitting on top of a second world war
Stp111 or Wn30 R667 - Vf/MG x 2 - R622 SK x 3 - 50mm KwK