The main hospital in Cherbourg has stood on the same site for many years. It is
called Hospital Pasteur after the great doctor. Louis Pasteur was born in 1822
in eastern France.
He discovered that most infectious diseases were caused by germs and he also
pioneered the pasteurisation of firstly wine and then milk, a process that is
still used to this day.
The hospital in Cherbourg was started in the 19th century and like most
hospitals was added to as the town grew. When the Germans arrived they quickly
designated Cherbourg as a fortress and possibly this clouded their view when it
came to building even the most innocent of structures.
They needed a reception area to receive personnel injured in bombings or in the
event of an all out attack by the Allies. What they built is a huge hardened
bunker attached to the main hospital wing.
This is possibly one of the largest bunkers in Normandy, with the exception of S-Boates
pens. It could well be a type 118c of which very few were constructed.
The structure which is now almost hidden in new building once formed the eastern
extremity of the hospital, but is now surrounded by the new maternity wing built
in the 1960's.
The bunker is still used as an out patients clinic even though many new
buildings have been provided. Many of the original fittings are in place, and
the corridors have their 900 corners cut away as is normal practice in hospitals
to enable stretchers to be handled with ease.
It does seem strange that the hospital authorities have not even painted the
structure during the intervening years, and as it supports a covered walkway
between two wings of the hospital the bunkers future does seem to be assured. In
2007 the bunker was clad and although still there is not visible.